Thursday, August 11, 2011

Battle of foundations: Clarins Everlasting vs Clarins Truly Matte

Battle of foundations: Clarins Everlasting vs Clarins Truly Matte

I know I have already reviewed Clarins Everlasting foundation (if you missed it, you can find it here) but I also have their Truly Matte foundation and thought it would be a good idea to compare the two.
In the original Everlasting post I talked about it being very similar to Max Factor's Lasting Performance. I'd say that it's almost a dupe of MF's foundation but my opinion has changed since then and now, with the new 'kid' on the block (huh, did I just call foundation a kid?!), I actually think Everlasting is a superb foundation, a lot better than Lasting Performance and... Wait, I'm rushing ahead. Let's look at these two - Everlasting and Truly Matte - more closely:


(l-r:Truly Matte in Pale Ivory and Everlasting in Ivory)

Okay, so first up the packaging: Everlasting's heavy-ish frosted glass bottle with a golden lid may look all glam and that, but I actually prefer Truly Matte. It's a squeezable tube and is easier and lighter to carry around. Yes, you won't see how much you've got left and I suppose that would be the only minus but surely you could feel the tube getting empty. I can't see a problem with it. Though hey, I do like the fact that Everlasting has a pump, just wish the bottle was a tiny bit lighter.
Secondly, the shades: I use Pale Ivory in Truly Matte which is a tad too dark for me. It's Clarins' lightest shade in the UK (I believe the US ladies can also get it in Linen?) and I'd say it's more of a warm tone so in NW-category if we're talking MAC shades. Pale Ivory is somewhere between NW15 and NW20 but that is actually okay at the moment - my super pale face does *sort of* tan in the summer and I can get away with using it. Everlasting's Ivory (again, the lightest shade in the range) is a perfect match so a NC15 (it's definitely cooler than TM's Pale Ivory).
And a slightly closer look at both products:


First up, a closer look at Everlasting. To remind you all, this is what Clarins say about it: 'A melting, lightweight texture for absolute comfort, perfect make-up results and impeccable hold that lasts 15 hours thanks to the High Fidelity System. Make-up stays true all day long.'
In my original Everlasting post I complained a bit. I said it wasn't really that 'everlasting' and my face was shiny after 4-5 hours of applying it. Right, I'm not sure what's going on with my skin this summer but I've found it to be a lot more 'everlasting' in the last few weeks. Very odd, yes. I apply it at 8am-ish and my face usually still looks good at 2pm! Me being me (read: paranoid), I dust my face with a bit of powder at around 2pm (even if and when it's not shiny!) but seriously, this foundation even beats Giorgio Armani's Lasting Silk (that is still my HG but Everlasting's getting very close to it) in the very hot weather!

I love its medium-full coverage. I love how it always looks natural and feels light on my face. I love that it mattifies without making my face feel tight or heavy. And I am super impressed at how long it lasts. Anything that lasts over 5 hours on my skin is a miracle. No more shiny face, ladies, not even in this heat. Wow.
I'd recommend Clarins Everlasting to anyone who's looking for a fuller coverage foundation. I'm quite sure you'd love the finish and feel of it as much as I do and, unless you have very dry skin, it would look good on most skin types.


And this is one of the newest additions to my 'foundation family.' Clarins Truly Matte - 'Suitable for all skin types but particularly suited to combination or oily skin in need of shine control. This non-oily foundation quite simply delivers it all: coverage without thickness, radiance without shine, a fresh, natural look at anytime and protection combined with total comfort. The result? Superb make-up, a flawless complexion and skin that looks more beautiful every day.'
Oookay, so... I knew I had to try it 'cause it's got 'matte' in its name and I was expecting all sorts of grand things from this baby. Did it deliver? Well, kind of. See, I actually think this would be an excellent product for those whose skin is a bit less oily than mine (combination-oily perhaps?) because it didn't really do that much for me. But then I'm obviously very stupid (there's a surprise!) and didn't see the words 'radiance' in its description.
Truly Matte isn't exactly mattifying but it does leave a natural finish. It's not even semi matte, more like - hmm - a slightly glowy finish. Must be the light reflecting particles in it. It does feel great on my skin and I love the initial finish but sadly my face gets shiny after only a couple of hours and then, if I, say, blot and powder, it gets shiny AGAIN and sort of slides off the face a bit. So yeah, I wear it on those days when I know I can be bothered to touch up my make up a few times a day (read: when I'm not doing much).
But please do not be put off by my review. This foundation isn't bad at all. In fact, I wish my skin was less oily so I could wear it and not worry about it melting off etc. It gives a beautiful finish and covers quite well (medium coverage I'd say) and I'd totally agree with Clarins - this would suit all or maybe most skin types (not sure about dry skin. Hmm).

My winner? Everlasting! It does everything: covers, conceals, mattifies, blends nicely... GA Lasting Silk, be very afraid, your HG spot is in danger!

Both of these products can be found here and can I just say - I am so pleased I've discovered Clarins foundations. I had never tried them before but then the lovely Nat wrote about them and I got very intrigued. I haven't given up on Truly Matte and will continue to use it on my 'lazy days'. Thank you, Clarins and thank you, Nat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copy protected by Beauty Glamour and Sex

(Distribution or copying data over any site or any community (Facebook Page) without providing any link of this blog is protected.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Detector
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Like Beauty and Glamour Tips

Random

Recent Posts